Chemistry
Advertisement


Nitrogen dioxide (commonly called by its formula NO2) is an inorganic, acidic, oxidizing and toxic compound that consists of one Nitrogen atom and two Oxygen atoms. With a boiling point of 21.15 °C, it constantly switches between its liquid and gaseous form. In both of these states, it has a brownish red color and a displeasant, strong, Chlorine-like odor. Nitrogen dioxide is mainly known for being an atmospheric pollutants.

Nitrogen dioxide is toxic. It is similarily poisonous to Chlorine. Thankfully, the odor of the gas can already be detected by the human nose in small concentrations of below 1 ppm. Though, exposure to nitrogen dioxide should be limited as much as possible. A common source of nitrogen dioxide at home are gas stoves, which produce small amounts of the gas. The amounts released from gas stoves are small, but they can have an effect on one's health over time.

The gas can be easily be created by burning the nitrate of a heavy metal, but this should only be done with proper safety equiptment by experienced people in a laboratory. At temperatures below −11.2 °C, it completely converts into dinitrogen tetroxide. Nitric acid, when not stored properly can decompose into Nitrogen dioxide.

Advertisement